Near Clifftop, West Virginia, sits a reminder of Jim Crow laws and racial segregation in the United States. Camp Washington-Carver was established by the state legislature in 1937 as the West Virginia 4-H Camp for Negroes. It was administered by West Virginia State College, a then-segregated school for African Americans, which renamed it in honor of Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver.
The lodge is constructed with American Chestnut logs, the largest building in the state built of chestnut logs.
There are dormitories, an activity building, picnic shelters, ball fields,
and invitations to just sit and relax.
The last of the Jim Crow laws were voided by 1965 and in 1979 the camp was transferred to the state culture and history division. Since then it has been used for cultural events, such as the annual Appalachian Stringband Music Festival. It also is available for weddings, reunions, and picnics.