Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Go entertain yourself

A couple of weeks ago I drove my wife down to Maryville College for a quilt show. While she was admiring the quilts, I wandered off on my own.

Maryville College was founded in 1819 by a Presbyterian minister and continues to be affiliated with the Presbyterian Church USA. Today it is a four-year liberal arts college with just over a thousand students. There's the usual Greek-revival academic architecture, but there's also an abundance of Victorian architecture represented.

1870 Anderson Hall
Center for Campus Ministry
1896 Bartlett Hall
1891 Willard House

And the Smoky Mountains beyond the soccer fields.

I would like to think the school motto carved on stone in the quad is how I choose to live my life.
All in all, not a bad way to spend a spring afternoon.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place that must be to study. I'm thrilling to all your blossom trees too. That white one in the bottom pic is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a Flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida), jennyfreckles. It's native to eastern North America but is cultivated in other temperate regions. I understand it's available in Britain, even the Appalachian Spring variety that is Anthracnose resistent.

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous campus! Such beautiful landscaping and mountain views. Must have been spring break, I didn't see any students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspected it was myself. I saw only two students, both enjoying the sun while reading. Even more telling was the fact the parking lots were empty.

      Delete