Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hands

A hand-off
Hands-on
Handyman
Hand-made
Hand over
Backhand
Hand holding
Hand-cuffed
Lay hands on
Hand-to-mouth
Hands down
To have your hands full
A winning hand
By his own hand
On the other hand
Handicraft
Handmaiden
Hand-me-down
Handout
Handpicked
Handsome

Hands. They're one of the most distinguishing features of the human species, a fact that struck home when I first saw my new-born son. They readily identify the kind of work one does, by the presence or absence of callouses. We read character into the grip of a handshake. We offer a hand to help and give a hand in appreciation. We comfort, accept, and incorporate with a touch of the hands. Hands make us human.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, touching photo this morning! Made me think of my grandfather's hands as he used to make fishing nets. He's been gone a long time but this brought back wonderful memories of him today. Merry Christmas Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll give you a big hand for this one, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good reminder for me to not take my hands for granted, along with so many other things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, babies' hands are amazing. I can never quite believe how complete and perfect they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hands tell quite a bit about a person, don't they? I enjoyed this 'hands on' post.

    ReplyDelete